Addicted to Your
Smartphone? Here's What to Do
Why smartphones hook us in, plus tips on
reclaiming your time and concentration.
I certainly agree with Susan Davis in her
article “Addicted to Your Smartphone? Here’s What to do”.
Please read her report below.
I'll admit it: I check my smartphone
compulsively. And the more I use it, the more often the urge to look at it hits
me.
In the orthodontist's office. Walking my kids to
school. In meetings. Even while making breakfast. Sometimes it is in my hand
before I even know what I'm searching for. Sometimes I tap the screen absent
mindedly -- looking at my email, a local blogger, my calendar, and Twitter.
I'm not the only one struggling with this very
modern compulsion. According to a 2012 survey by the Pew Research Center, 46%
of all American adults now own a smartphone -- up a whopping 25% from
2011.
And smartphone use can get very heavy. In a
study of 1,600 managers and professionals, Leslie Perlow, PhD, the Konosuke
Matsushita professor of leadership at the Harvard Business School, found that:
·
70% said they check their
smartphone within an hour of getting up.
·
48% check over the
weekend, including on Friday and Saturday nights.
·
51% check continuously
during vacation.
·
44% said they would
experience "a great deal of anxiety" if they lost their phone and couldn't replace it
for a week.
"The amount of time that people are
spending with the new technology, the apparent preoccupation, raises the
question 'why?'" says Peter DeLisi, academic dean of the information
technology leadership program at Santa Clara University in California.
"When you start seeing that people have to text when they're driving, even
though they clearly know that they're endangering their lives and the lives of
others, we really have to ask what is so compelling about this new
medium?"
No comments:
Post a Comment